Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Fall "Jacket"

For the first time this week, I am beginning to believe that there might be and end to the DC humidity and fall may be just around the corner!  Woohoo!  Fall is my favorite season and I have not experienced it for the past three years!  Bring on the cool mornings, the smell of leaves, and of course...
Bring on the color!! 

In the spirit of fall, this cute chair needed itself a little "jacket."  A change from it's beautiful white spring/summer look to something more "fallish!" 

What do you think?

I think it is a great pop of color and, I think it's owner is going to love how it looks in her bedroom. 
No more blending into the walls for this piece! 
Here's a close up of the fabulous fabric this slipcover is made from. 
Love it!
And of course some details of the button closures.  Can I just say I love my sewing maching?  I used to HATE doing button holes, but it is SO easy with my new machine!

You might recognize this chair from an earlier post - - funny part about it is that it's original upholstery was orange - - then it got completely redone in white, and now a slipcover in orange ( a different color orange of course - a far cry from the 70's burnt orange!)

25 comments:

Faith Bomar said...

I love it!!!

Ells said...

She's going to love it!

Infarrantly Creative said...

That is to die for. I can't believe you made a slipcover for it. You have some mad sewing skills. I am uber impressed. Can we hang out and I can glean from you?

Kristi H. said...

What a treat to do my daily visit to your blog and find my chair being showcased! I LOVE IT! I love how that orange fabric makes the white chair frame just pop. And all the "couture" details like the tiny pleats and pretty buttons are perfect. Thank you, Amy!

Now if we could just find a day that works for both of us to meet up so I can get my hands on it!

Gayle said...

Wow! I am practically speechless, that is incredible! Way to sew, way to design! I may have to try something like that. hmm....

Southern Fried Gal said...

Ooohh - awesome job! I love the added interest of the buttons. Great job!

Vanessa said...

That looks truly fabulous! Awesome.

Jaime said...

I love it! Gosh, I wish I knew how to sew. Great project.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Love, love your chair, that's a great pop of color. Great job on the recovering too. I have a sewing machine, but I'm still such a novice with it.

Unknown said...

I love orange, and that pattern is really nice!

Amber said...

SO cute! Did you use a pattern or did you just come up with the shape yourself? I'm so impressed with your sewing. And I love that your slipcover looks more like upholstery, but that you can change it out with the season. The fabric print is really fun and perfect for fall.

Jennifer Juniper said...

I'm in the process of slip covering a chair that is similar and I'm having trouble with the back. Is your buttoned on the sides?

Decor To Adore said...

What a great slipcover! I am in the market for a new sewing machine. Would you mind sharing what brand you have?

Amy {Design Intervention} said...

Jennifer - the bottom picture shows how how the back is attached. it is just one solid piece going over the back of the chair with buttons along the bottom - I had to put some darts along the top to make it fitted to the shape of the chair. Good luck and if you have any more questions, I would love to help!!

Laura - my sewing machine is a Huskavarna and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It is actually my 3rd one not because of bad quality, but because of good quality - I have loved it so much that I keep upgrading! The button stitching is all computerized so you just enter the size of the button and you really can't mess up! So easy!

Pine Tree Home said...

You are inspiring! That is such a cute, stylish slipcover. Are you a self taught sewer? How hard is it to make the finished trim?

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

doncha love slipcovers! it makes all the difference in the world. great job!

Infarrantly Creative said...

I know I totally thought of you when I found it. Want to come over and help me sew new cushions for it? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Can't believe you made that! Excellent... Have a good day.

Kristi said...

Oh I love it!!

Vanessa said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Cute, cute, cute! That chair sure has some SASS now! I wish I had your sewing talent. You did an awesome job. :)

Screaming Meme said...

Okay you are officially one of my fav slipcover~ers ;)...Great job, honey! Love it! Meme

angie said...

Another great one.

Sandy said...

love the orange and a great job!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love the fabric. I love the button details. Super great job :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails