Sunday, April 18, 2010

Station Sign (Deployment Project #65)

I was completely inspired this week when I got my House Beautiful Magazine in the mail - - awesome stuff in there this time!!
First thing I learned… I am trendier than I thought!  AND  I have no clue why I was doing those Re-upholstery tutorials…
Check out these chairs - - yup – there they are sitting there in all their “un – upholstered glory.”  IMG_4969
House Beautiful
Remember this set of chairs that I couldn’t post about for FOREVER because I made a rule that I can’t post until the project is done?  Yeah, they sat in my house looking exactly like this for at least 5 months!  Who knew, I should have just left them - - I am so trendy and I didn’t even know it!  (If I would have know that it was cool, I would have at least taken a picture of them without their backs!!
IMG_3987
Seriously  - - I guess there will not be a Re-upholstery 300 series because apparently all you need to know how to do is take the fabric off, not know how to put it back on – anyone can handle that!!
IMG_4970
House Beautiful
OK, seriously though, I was really inspired by one item that I saw!
Seattle
Watsonkennedy.com
Look at this Station Sign! - - I love it!  It has a vintage look to it and what a huge statement it would make on a wall!!   But, when I looked at them, I saw something a little different in my mind - - -  something almost exactly like that, but personalized!! - - AND cheaper!! 
Mine: FREE
Theirs:  $295
Here is my version:
IMG_4956
What do you think?  It’s my version of a military record of where we have been stationed and Handsome Hubby’s deployments.  It’s so personalized and has a ton of meaning for our family, but yet is really makes a statement in our entryway.  And what a conversation starter!!
IMG_4961
I started by re-purposing a failed project:
IMG_4952
This was one of the kids desks before I re-did the school room.  It was a great idea - - nice piece of wood for the top of the desk - - covered with the world map - - just add legs.  It was great for the first week of school, but after kids leaned on it and tried to dance on it  diligently did their school work on it… it was worthless!!  IMG_4951
So, I took the legs and brackets off, removed the map, and spray painted the wood black.  Then I freehand painted on all the different places we have lived/been stationed along with Handsome Hubby’s deployments and the years in an antique white.
IMG_4958
 IMG_4955
Can I just tell you that I am in love with this project?  I am so pleased with how well it turned out.   Wouldn’t these be fun to “list” different vacation spots you have gone to or street names that you have lived on?  Oh the possibilities!!
IMG_4962

26 comments:

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

As a retired military family I just love your version! Great conversion piece. As for the chairs in the mag...well, I do like the suitcase coffee table and the lamp shade!

afistfullofweeds* said...

EEWWWW, I do not like those unfinished chairs!! I LOVE your creative sign though, a real keeper!! Rhonda

Megan said...

I LOVE IT!!!! So much fun and so personal. What a good way to document and display the places you've been. Adding this to my "someday" list.

And those chairs, I think I could actually do those. They look dangerous though.

~M

InnovativeMom said...

LOVEEEE this! I love the idea of listing all the places you lived! And uck to those un-upholstered chairs!!! All I could think is "those would be dust / dog hair magnets!!!!!" lol

Anna said...

Love this project! Not entirely sure what I can use for mine, but I'll think of something =) Maybe vacation places. Thanks for the great idea!!

Kelsey said...

Super cute project! I have seen that sign before and loved it..You did a great job!! The unfinished chairs look kinda industrial and cool but with toddlers they would be messed with CONSTANTLY so wouldn't be practical in my home!

Valerie said...

I am an Army brat, so your awesome sign just resonated with me! Thanks so much for the idea... I am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com.

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I love the sign. Furniture and signs. Do your talents ever end? : )

Kristi H. said...

Who knew you were on the pulse of such incredible home decor trends?!

I LOVE YOUR VERSION OF THE STATION SIGN!!! You are beyond brilliant with this one, my friend! This is a project that I think I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at. And what a nice break from the traditional American flag with a hanging heart for each post assignment that says, "Home is where the Army sends me"--I've never been a huge fan of those. Now I'll be able to proudly display all the places we've lived (plus the four deployments--loved that extra touch you added!) in a VERY cool way. I have the perfect spot for one in my entry too!

I too saw those chairs with the unfinished backs while I was flipping through my Home Beautiful, and I think they're pretty cool. They certainly aren't for everyone, but they are so unique; perfect for a person like me who is into the whole industrial vibe in home decor. One of these would be a great conversation piece, especially if it was in an unexpected public place in the home. I must continue on with my quest for chairs with great bones!

The Grandy's said...

Crazy, were you guys stationed in Brazil or did your husband deploy there. That would be my husbands DREAM. I love the sign. I kinda wanted to replicate a pottery barn typing sign thingy. Maybe someday...

chris said...

I saw those chairs in my magazine... and I thought "what the heck was that guy thinking" Of course it's cool to be a trend setter, but not at the cost of ugly! LOL
As far as your subway sign? I LOVE IT. I really enjoy the "real" ones I have seen lately but I think yours is my favorite. So much meaning to it. You and your family can see a city or country and a million memories fill your hearts. Hopefully good ones.

Thank you to your husband for serving in the military. A sacrifice the whole family makes. I hope you and he knows that people appreciate his and others service to our country.
My husband started a non profit that helps returning soldiers with housing and remodeling if needed. Of course there is so much more to it but if you like check out his website @ www dot buckupforwoundedwarriors dot com

thanks for sharing your sign.

Ells said...

LOVE your station sign, friend! Wow, you all have lived in a bunch of places already!

Lara said...

I love it!!! And I'm so glad I found your blog!!! I have some reupholstery projects that have been sitting in my basement for almost 3 years. I never started because I was afraid of messing it all up. Thanks for the tutes on how to reupholster. Maybe now I'll have the courage to try!!

Kimberly said...

Love the sign! I've been trying to come up with my own version of the "Home is Where the Army Sends Us" sign. I want something that I can update easily though. Your black and white makes me think chalkboard. Just erase and rewrite.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I too am so happy to have found your blog! I love your sign!! I did something similar a short while ago with all of our street addresses since we've been married as we too have moved a lot. I didn't post it for personal info safety reasons...it had house numbers, streets, and cities etc...there are some crazy identity theif people out there. But yours is fine and so great!! Isn't it something you'll always treasure?! It think so!

Rozi said...

What a great idea! I love your list of places, you got really neat hand writing, and all centered too!

Anonymous said...

I think I might have to make one of these....with your help of course. I even have wood in the garage...and black spray paint..oh wait, no I don't! Heehee. Shana.

Kara said...

As a military brat I love your sign too. I have always had a hard time with the question, "Where are you from?"

Love your blog too!

coryshay said...

Wow! What a fantastic idea! I love love love it! And I recently found your blog and had to tell you how much I love it!

Unknown said...

Tht looks really good! You have great handwriting skills too! If I tried to do that it would end up crooked because my free hand is comparable to a 10 year old boy. Great job!

Miss Obara said...

I love how that turned out! I was going to do the same w/the streets we've lived on, cities we've lived in, etc.
and yes, I thought of you when I saw that picture in my House Beautiful magazine. :)

Dee said...

What a cool idea! I grew up in Ft Campbell and Clarksville until I was 12! Loved it there!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

We've been in ministry every year of our marriage (29) and the move last December was #19. (This includes stints in the Philippines and Guam.) I adore this idea and will definitely be making one! I wanna thank The Nester for introducing you! I'm enjoying every yet-unread post! I'll be following!

Tara G. said...

I like it much better than the Americana plaques!

Audrey said...

Love the sign! I'm gonna try to make one. I have this wall that I wanted to paint with chalkboard paint. But I didn't feel like painting it and then painting it back when we move out of housing. So this has the same feel and I get to take it when we move again. Thanks for the great idea.

winceycottagegirl said...

Terre Haute? Brazil? Wow...the first time I saw subway art with those places on it...and in my neck of the woods! Cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails