Wednesday, June 15, 2011

No... I didn't fall off the end of the earth!

I thought that since I haven't posted in.... oh let's just say, FOREVER, that you all deserved a good update. 

So, here's my story.  Not much has been going on here in project world.  In fact, not much has been going on here at all - - ok actually a lot has been going on in our family, but just the normal everyday, life is busy, the army is crazy, and life is flying by way to fast way.  We have finally finished up our year of school and handsome hubby has begun a new army school and more grad school classes all at the same time.  UGH! 

But, unfortunately, nothing has been happening here as far as projects go.  Which is killing me!  I am a creative person, I love to create, I love to do hands on things, I love to use that creative side of my brain. 

So, why no projects?

It seems that my body would rather have me flat on my back or very creatively and precisely positioned on the couch.  I have been suffering from very intense pain in my neck, shoulder, and left arm for awhile now.  I was really hoping that it would go away on it's own.  No luck there.  When I finally could handle the pain no longer, I made an appointment with the Dr. after some good drugs, a neck brace, physical therapy two times a week and an MRI, we now have some answers.  As my Dr. told me, "you have the neck of an 80 year old woman."  Seems that genetically I won the lottery for having an awful neck!  The MRI revealed that I have problems all the way down my neck starting at vertebra #3 and going all the way through #7.  I have bone spurs, bulging disks, and bone degeneration on or between each of the bones.  These bone spurs and bulging disks are sitting right on the nerves that run down the left side of my body.  If you have ever had any experience with nerve pain, you know just the extreme agony I have been in.  It's horrible.  Nothing can touch the pain.  For awhile there, I was popping Advil like candy and it wasn't even phasing me.  I now have the good stuff - - you know the kind that you have to sign your life away in order to receive from the pharmacist and after you have signed, then they take out their special key and unlock the special cabinet that it has been locked away in....the same drugs, that once you get home and look in the container, you find you have only been given enough to give you relief for 6 precious days.  Six days that you will not remember because you will be unconscious from the drugs the entire time.  But when that 7th day arrives and you have no more medication left, you are jolted back into reality by the pain!

And that is my life in a nut shell right now.  Dr.'s visits, pain, and medication.  Not much fun or creativity going on here. 

I did have one project started before the pain kicked in.  A project that would usually take me two to three days to complete.  Let me just say it took me a lot longer, but I did finish it just in time.  I had really wanted to make my own dress for the Army Birthday Ball.  You see, that is one of the really fun parts about being in the army....the balls.  I love dressing up.  Finding the perfect dress and shoes to go with, getting a manicure and pedicure, and seeing my handsome husband in his dress uniform.  I love it!  This year, I had decided that I wanted to make the perfect dress.  It took me FOREVER, but I finished it just in time!

Here we are at the ball.
Might I just add that I didn't realize the lighting was as bad where we were at....that is not a horrible tan line, but instead a horrible shadow!!

Christian comedian Chonda Pierce was one of the entertainers for the evening. She is so Stinkin funny! And sweet!  We got to talk with her for a few minutes out in the hallway as we were sneaking out.

We ended up leaving early because I was in so much pain and I refused to wear my neck brace to the ball!

Close up of the detail of the front of the dress.


I leave you with a picture of me with my beautiful new necklace that I get to wear all day and sleep in at night!!! 


The Dr.s are talking that surgery is probably the next course of action.  At this point in time, I don't care what is next as long as it brings relief.  Since no creativeness is going on around here, I do not know when I will be posting next.  Perhaps with lovely pictures of me after surgery.  I'm hoping that soon it will all be fixed and I will be back to my old creative self and posting lots of fabulous projects.  Until then, thank you for the concern some of you have had.  I treasure the sweet emails I have received asking me if everything was ok since you hadn't heard or seen anything from me lately.

29 comments:

The Retired Mama said...

A word of encouragement-- I had the same problem with my neck. Awful pain in my neck, shoulders and down my arm. I went through a year of spinal steroid shots (no relief) and RX drugs that I had to sign for. Finally the DR did disc surgery. The relief was immediate. That was 10 years ago. It still hurts to lie in bed but I can manage 7 hours with Motrin before bed. I can not do exercises that strain my neck so I will never have great abs-- HA-- but life is good.
Thanks for such a inspirational blog.

bmayer said...

I was wondering where you went. So sorry about all the pain you are in. I had elective knee surgery 8 years ago, and am so glad I did. I would have had a life time of pain/knee brace and limited movement without it. Its amazing what surgery can do for you these days. Life is too short to live it in pain, if there is an alternative for relief.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your neck- I do hope you will find some relief soon-

Your dress was beautiful!

Laurel H. said...

I certainly hope you're feeling better soon.

Meg said...

Ugh...I hope some relief comes quickly. So sorry to hear.

On the bright side: slammin' dress. You look rocking!

Laura @ LPC Interiors said...

So sorry you haven't been feeling well. I know pain- i had knee surgery a few years ago and that pain is all consuming and the drugs make you feel like time stands still. Hope you feel better soon and get some relief. I LOVE that dress!! It's amazing. Great job!

afistfullofweeds* said...

I just checked your blog for a post yesterday! I have missed seeing you!! I hope you are feeling better soon and come back with your amazing skills! That dress only confirms your awesome talent!! Take care! Rhonda

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you've been experiencing. I know you want it to stop as soon as it can, I hope surgery will do just that for you. I'm amazed by your incredible dress. Sadly I sew buttons on shirts and that's as far as it goes, so I'm duly impressed by your skill!

Your AF Sista said...

Yikes, I am very sorry to hear this. In the midst of pain everything seems much harder! Think of it as part of your sanctification process :) The Lord has certainly gifted you will some serious skills, your dress is beautiful!

Essay Papers said...

OOooh ! really painful i hope you must feel better soon....

Mom in High Heels said...

Well, I have been wondering where you were! I'm so sorry to hear that you're having neck problems and are in so much pain! How horrible for you. I hope you get some relief soon.
Your dress is FAB! You did a fantastic job and the detail on the front of the dress is just gorgeous. And what a handsome hubby you have. We were supposed to go to the Birthday Ball this year (we had planned it after dh was gone for last year's ball-I too love to get dressed up), but since Han Solo is just 2 months old (and I'm still not back in shape despite restarting the 30 Day Shred-EVIL!), I decided I didn't really want to go. Maybe next year. Dh doesn't really like the balls, but as his rank goes up, so too do his obligations for those kinds of events. Good for me.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

New something was the matter. Love your post and projects. I have been praying for you whenever I go into my favs and check your post and nothing new was posted. Will continue to pray for you and your family, I do not know the physical pain that you are going through, but do suffer migraines and High Blood Pressure Headaches and I know that I am not always a pleasant person when dealing with my kids when I am in pain. So I will be especially praying for you and your lovely children. God Bless.

Pam J said...

so sorry to hear about your pain. I have truly missed your inspirations! Don't give up! Research your pain and make sure that you find a Doctor who will diagnose you correctly. Easier said than done. Hopefully if surgery is the answer, I pray that it brings your much deserved relief!

Debbie said...

Hey Amy... Your Mom has told me a little bit about what is going on with you, but I didn't know all the details. I'm so sorry that you have been suffering so much. It's a wonder that you have been able to keep up with the kids schooling. I know that you have been trusting the Lord to get you through this tough time, but even that is difficult when you are suffering. Please know that we have been and will continue to keep you in our prayers!!!!! Hurry up and get better - we are missing all your great projects!!!
Love you!!!!
Aunt Debbie

Anonymous said...

Just checked in on your blog and learned about your terrible circumstances. So wishing you get better soon.....it must be terrible. You helped me so much several months ago when I was trying to make double welting. What a lifesaver you were. Thanks for all your help and keep thinking positive thoughts. Liz

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

It's so good to hear from you! Sorry about all the pain you have been in. I went through a time when I had facial nerve pain. It was horrible and the pain brought me to my knees and had me in tears. I hope you find a solution to ease yours.
The dress was beautiful. You did such a great job on it!

Emily said...

I'm so glad to see you're still around! I'll tell you, I was excited to finally see that you'd popped up on Blogger with something new. So sad that there's no new inspiring projects, but seems like you've had other things going on!

About the back issue, check and see if a chiropractor could be right for you. A lot of back things that a conventional doctor can only try to fix with pain killers and surgery can be helped with regular therapy. I know a lot of people don't believe in them, but as long as they aren't quacks promising to cure cancer, I'm all in. I was made a very firm believer after my old horse started having lameness issues that were diagnosed as being a spinal issue in her withers (shoulder) area, and we were referred to a chiropractor that did horses on the side. We were skeptical and nervous, considering the horse had a history of being more than a bit of a flake, but the moment the initial surprise of having her neck popped wore off, she melted for him. Within a few weeks and another visit, she was back to working order. No surgery, no drugs. I'm not going to suggest it's THE fix for anything, but I sure believe in it.

sheri said...

More words of encouragement... I have very similar issues and the pain is HORRIBLE! There is hope... my pain dr did the steriod first and nothing. Then he did facet blocks which go in the side of the neck and they did give relief for a few months. Then he did a oblation where he burns the ends of the nerves and until they heal back, NO PAIN! I had it done in Dec '09 and I have days now that it bothers me but not to the extent where you can't function. Ask your Dr before you do surgery. It's worth a try. I've missed your blogs and wondered if you were ok. Hang in there... there is hope!

Carol-Anne said...

I kept thinking that there was something wrong with my computer....or God forbid, something had happened to someone in your family because I wondered what the heck had happened to you! Glad it wasn't that, but sorry you are in agony and hope you will have relief soon. Look forward to more of your incredibly inspiring ideas!

Little Miss Penny Wenny said...

So glad to hear from you! I am so sorry about the neck pain. What a pain in the neck! (Okay that was so dumb... forgive my humor at this time of night). That dress is absolutely amazing! Is there anything you can't do with a sewing machine? Okay, please don't answer that. You can do it all.

xoxo

Jen

(((((( om mazin's crochet ))))))) said...

So sorry to see your neck like that, I hope you will be better soon.

you were cute in the dress,it's abeautiful one.

Nicola said...

Oh you poor poor thing! I was wondering what had happened to you! So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain - my darling Father-In-Law had what I am guessing is the same thing about 5 years ago - ended up having surgery and never looked back. Good Luck, hope you are better soon, love the dress - you look stunning!!!

Trish said...

So sorry you're having so much pain. You are a very talented lady. Did you make the dress with a pattern or did you just "create"?
Hope each day you'll see improvement.

Sharon said...

I have missed your posts!!! I wondered where you've been! So sorry to hear about your neck problems....but now I know what to pray about for you! The Lord has truly blessed you with wonderful talent! I miss seeing your posts and will be praying that you're healed up quickly! I love your blog and have enjoyed following you all this time! God Bless! Psalm 121:1-2

Reenie said...

Checking in to see how you are doing.

Anonymous said...

I randomly found your blog - I have been looking for quite some time for a tutorial on how to create roman/balloon shades w/ existing curtains. I read the latest entry and wanted to say Thanks for all of the design inspiration - and I hope that the surgery works and you recover quickly and well. All the best!

mommy said...

Just checking in on your health. Surgery?

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

sending you all good thoughts! i sure hope that you don't have to have surgery but if you do -- i am sure you will be in the best of hands! sending you tons of hugs... your newest follower.

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

Loved your blog... From your newest follower.. Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl. I am always looking for great blogs to follow.. check us out sometime..
Hope that you have a blessed day and prayers that you get your NECKLACE off soon ... HUGS

Related Posts with Thumbnails