Thursday, March 4, 2010

Home Sweet Home! (Deployment Projects #37-40)

There is nothing that feels better than being home after a long vacation!!  The kids and I finally made it home this afternoon.  We had a great trip, but it’s good to be home.  I have so many ideas and projects to do around here, I am going to have a ton of projects coming up!!

I did actually get some projects done while I was away.  I thought it might be fun to do a post on my vacation and the projects I did while on vacation.  Am I the only person who goes on vacation and the purpose is to go and visit family and friends and help them with projects?

Our vacation started out 3 weeks ago when we loaded ourselves, our luggage and my sewing machine into the truck and headed west.   We were delayed from leaving Virginia by snow, so on the extra day that we had before we left, I made an Amy Butler Weekend Bag.

IMG_4237

IMG_4236 

Our first stop was my Mom’s house in Ohio.  We were only there a couple of days before we took off for Wisconsin, where both of my brothers live.

In Wisconsin, we had a blast enjoying time as a family.  My brother Dan took us all for a bobsled ride pulled by four of his horses.  Charise loved the horses!

IMG_4257

IMG_4258

 

 

IMG_4262

IMG_4263After we were done with the old fashioned horse-power, we pulled out the snowmobiles!  This was a new experience for the kids and only one would actually try it!

IMG_4280

She loved every minute of it!!IMG_4273

 

IMG_4283

Even Grandma and Papa O got in on the fun!

Our time in Wisconsin was short, but we enjoyed every minute of it - - I even met my new stepbrothers and their wives.  I think we all could have talked for hours!

IMG_3354

Family First!

After Wisconsin, we headed back to Ohio where I met up with a friend that I went to high school with (in Wisconsin) - - she now lives in the same town as my Mom!

IMG_4324

We met for an early dinner around 4:30 and ended up having to leave because the restaurant was closing!  We had a blast talking about the past and catching up with each other!

The next day I left for Indiana.  I dropped the kids off at Handsome Hubby’s parents and headed to Beckie’s house.  We worked our little fingers off, but successfully re-upholstered her two chairs.  You can read my post about it here, but it you want step by step instructions, you have to go and check out Beckie’s Blog - - Infarrantly Creative - - she has been doing a week long series on our project!

IMG_4327

AfterIMG_4361

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4366

I also helped Beckie figure out her embroidery machine and make some of my Pottery Barn Knock-off Nest pillows.  Big news coming next week about those!!

IMG_4046

After Beckie’s I headed back to Handsome Hubby’s parents and spent the night there.  I got big-time stuck in their driveway the next day!!

Next, it was back to Ohio to help my Mom with her couch.  This couch used to be my grandparents, but Mom is the proud owner now, she wanted it to have an updated look and she also wanted it to work with her Den - - which has an Americana look going on in there.

IMG_4383 

This is a pretty bad before shot, but when I got there, Mom had already started on the frame of the couch and fabric was already attached, so we had to call my Grandma and see if she had any pictures of the couch!  She did - - it was one they took of all the topiaries she had made for a woman’s dinner. - - So, focus on the couch in the background :)

Here is the after:

IMG_4376 IMG_4378

IMG_4377

She used a tan and black hounds tooth for the cording which really made the lines of the couch pop!  It is definitely an obvious before and after!!

I also embroidered 2 pillow tops for her, but I forgot to take pictures of those! - - I come by it honestly!!

I made one more project while I was on vacation --

A bag for my Grandma - - on Sunday when I picked Grandma up for church, she was carrying her Bible and her Sunday School book in a paper gift bag.  That just would not do!  So I ran to the fabric store and picked out some fabric for Grandma and made her a bag.

IMG_4379IMG_4382 

IMG_4380 IMG_4381

Here I am with Grandma.  Charise took the picture for us and she insisted that Grandma wear her gold medal.  Grandma won a gold medal in the Olympics too!  In Hockey!

IMG_4387

Her community hosted an Olympic competition for the residents where they competed in all kinds of Olympic sports with funny twists and modifications.  Grandmas hockey puck was a cane!  She had a blast and was quite proud of her gold medal and were quite proud of her for winning it.  Grandma isn’t just gold medal quality when it comes to sports, she’s gold medal sweet and I’m sure that it is from her that I get my creativity and artistic abilities!!

All in all, we had a great time, I accomplished a ton, and we are glad to be back home!  I have so many projects on the burner, I’m not sure where to start!!  First, I think I should start by unpacking my suitcase!

7 comments:

Infarrantly Creative said...

Yah for being home! The couch looks rockin! I love the different cording. ACK...I am so excited to find my next reupholstery project

Kimberly said...

I've had my eye on that Amy Butler bag. Was it hard? My sewing experience is pretty much limited to quilts. Think I could manage?

Kristi H. said...

What fun to read about all the adventures of your trip and see (almost) all of the projects you worked on too. You were one busy, busy, busy woman! Can't wait to chat and hopefully plan a new adventure with you!

Kristi H.

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I have to tell you that your talent is amazing. I want to learn how to reupholster. I so wish I had a friend like you that could show me the ropes, but I am determined to learn. You are truly inspiring. Love your stuff.

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

Ive been wanting and needing something like the weekender bag for awhile now but Im intimidated by the pattern. Was it really difficult to do? Love your blog, BTW!
Sarah
handbagsnpigtails.blogspot.com

Tara G. said...

I have some down time and am reading through your blog! I grew up in WI, went to school in OH (C'ville)! And your bags are darling!

Anonymous said...

Goooo I love amy butler and I love the bag you did! I want to make curtains so bad but hubby is saying its too busy! gah!

Related Posts with Thumbnails