Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Re-upholstery - - Two Matching Chairs (Deployment Projects #49 & 50!!)



Can you believe I’ve reached 50 deployment projects already?  Crazy!!!
Here’s the craziest part - - Easter Sunday is our half-way point.  Half-way done with this deployment!!  Woohoo!!  Not quite there yet, but getting close!
Remember me talking about how I had made a rule for myself that I cannot post a project unless it is completely finished?  This is one of those projects.  I have actually had these chairs mostly done for awhile, but I had not actually finished them.  I still needed to put the backs on them.  They have been sitting in my hallway, gracing it, with unfinished backs!!IMG_3987 IMG_3988
So, today’s task was to finish these chairs up.  You know, what, it only took me 15 minutes.  Why didn’t I just do this earlier?
IMG_4665
These were another Craigslist find.  They were in really bad condition.  The previous owner had cats and these cats used the chairs as scratching posts.  They were ripped up and NASTY!!!!
IMG_3547 IMG_3532
I gave the chair bases a coat of heirloom white and then  roughed them up a bit with some sandpaper.
IMG_3994 IMG_3995
I love the fabric I used for this chair.  It is a natural cotton background with a white damask printed on it.  It is a very neutral, light fabric that gives it an unexpected element of drama!!IMG_3993 IMG_4664 IMG_3987
Aren’t they pretty?
IMG_3988
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

16 comments:

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

Hmmm. Love seems too weak and overused a word for how I feel about these chairs. ADORE!! Yes...I adore them. Fantastic job!!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Your chairs are gorgeous! Great work.
Sarah

Infarrantly Creative said...

Yes they are totally gorgeous! You are a machine!

Kelley @ Please Don't Call Me Martha said...

They are gorgeous! Do you mind me asking -- did you use CurveEase for the back? I know that you've used it on other projects. And how do you keep from getting sliced to bits by the stuff? Last time I used it, I nearly lost a finger (for realz!).

Unknown said...

Gorgeous chairs, that fabric is divine. Is the pattern printed on or is it part of the weave?
Thank you so much for sharing, I am going to try and re-upholster two chairs as soon as I get my nerve up and your posts are very encouraging.

Faith's Place said...

You have done some beautiful work! My husband is getting ready to deploy for a year long tour in Iraq, and youhave inspired me to do a 100 Depolyment projects, myself. I am making my list now for when he leaves this summer. What a great idea! I love having thing on a list to do.. it makes the time go by faster!!!

Paige
thepricesdaybyday.blogspot.com

The Brick Cottage said...

So pretty! I love all of your upholstery projects.

Raylene said...

Wow,love them, love them, love them. You've got real talent to bring the whole hallway together like that. It looks real nice. You're a true inspiration to me. I realized I'm rubbing off on my kids as they came home late last nite with treasures from the neighborhood dumpster! See, we can all benefit from a little "research". Good luck on your next "deployment".

The Grandy's said...

THAT'S AWESOME! And I can say that feelin' your pain! My half way point was March 5th. But my husband hasn't had leave yet so he gets 25 days still in May.
I saw this pillow idea and thought you might like them. Grain sack pillows are fun and these seemed so easy. I'm gonna do them in the next few days.
http://musingsfromafrenchcottage.blogspot.com/2009/01/old-grain-sack-pillow.html
-Nikki

angie said...

You are one busy lady! Everything looks beautiful.

Kristi H. said...

These chairs are truly some of my favorites of your many upholstery jobs! The fabric is absolutely gorgeous, and perfect on these shapely "ladies."

In fact, I adore (to use Ann Marie's appropriate wording) these chairs so much that if you decide you aren't taking them with you on your next move, I get first dibs! Seriously.

Magic Brush said...

I have been looking for chairs like that on Craigslist! Thankfully garage sale season is almost here, so hope to find some then!

Stop by my painting blog and say hello sometime.

Great job on the upholstery... that intimidates me!

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

Love the fabric!! They are beautiful!

KimMalk said...

They are very pretty - at first I thought I read it took you 15 min. to do them not finish them! (I do things like that myself.) I'm glad you're halfway through your husband's deployment. Hang in there.

Miss Obara said...

These turned out SO nice! I've got projects like that too...that need to be completed...and really only take a few minutes!

Unknown said...

Reupholstering is a very technical job. It is for those who have the talent in leatherworks and sewing. And also, it involves the idea of cleaning it. In Winston-Salem, carpet cleaning men do upholstery checking and reconditioning. Meaning, there is a process to follow and not just by typically cleaning it and I have no problem regarding this. In my case, Greensboro carpet cleaning does the greatest job of all.

Nice blog pics!

Related Posts with Thumbnails